Since there are no currently active contests, we have switched Climate CoLab to read-only mode.
Learn more at https://climatecolab.org/page/readonly.
Skip navigation

Community Discussions

Intolerable impacts of Urban Heat Island

5comments
Share conversation: Share via:

Jannatul Ferdous

Jun 29, 2017
05:41

Catalyst

1 |
Share via:
Due to Rapid growth of urbanization and industrialization, Bangladesh has been experiencing many severe environmental problems, such as air pollution, green house impact and urban heat island (UHI). Moreover, great city growth rates as well as city densities have already made Dhaka (capital city of Bangladesh) more vulnerable to human-induced environmental disasters. Exclusively during the last few years, when Dhaka has had a hot summer, people of the city will agree on the fact that the average temperature has increased on a recognizable basis. The major cause behind this situation can be attributed to the common feature of Dhaka city which is the impermeable build up areas including all type of infrastructure such as residential, commercial, industrial, road, village settlement etc. As a result of that, the surface in Dhaka city tends to get warmer very quickly than those of surrounding rural or sub-rural areas. Not only that but also heat is created by energy from all the people, cars, buses, and trains in city like Dhaka. Due to the lots of unplanned growth of industries within Dhaka city, the issue of UHI is increasing at an alarming rate. In stance, Study reveals that in Bangladesh, 48% electricity is consumed by domestic use whereas 36% is consumed by industrial sector. Thus, the whole circumstances made the Dhaka city a reservoir of heat energy.

Maria Repetto

Jul 13, 2017
09:10

Catalyst

2 |
Share via:

Jannatul, thank you for your comments. I agree with you. In Buenos Aires, capital city of Argentina, South America, we have a similar situation. We are increasing environmental disaster as: heat island, floods, etc. The government has been implemented a Plan to face this fighting: 2016-2020. 

Jannatul Ferdous

Aug 7, 2017
12:36

Catalyst

3 |
Share via:

Wow! Maria, I am glad your government has started working on it. As an environmental expert, I do have  quite a few ideas to run projects for effective solution to this irreversible problems. lets see whats next!

Bill Marston Leed Ap

Jan 11, 2019
01:55

4 |
Share via:

Excellent topic! One important sub-topic is that access to air conditioning becomes less possible as a person’s living income level is lower than average. So UHI impacts the poor far more acutely than it does those rich enough to sleep (or even live & work) in a dry, cool indoor air environment. This economic inequity exists everywhere, to varying degrees, and this is clearly breaching moral standards of all cultures.

Jim Moss

Feb 28, 2019
10:39

5 |
Share via:

I agree with you. At the moment, really the problem of ecology has gained very large momentum. And the struggle for it is just beginning.