Since there are no currently active contests, we have switched Climate CoLab to read-only mode.
Learn more at https://climatecolab.org/page/readonly.
Skip navigation

Community Discussions

WINNERS NETWOK

11comments
Share conversation: Share via:

Victor Blanco

Oct 4, 2014
11:57

1 |
Share via:
Dear all Climate CoLab Winners 2014! Congratulations to all of you!!! Is great to be part of this selected group of people from around the world who came out with all this wonderfull proposals to address climate change. I think the core, the heart of this contest is the CoLab (Colaborative) part of all our proposals, and its time for all of us to make that jump and create a real NETWORK that can take into action the contributions we made. For all that there is always the need of resources, especially funds to keep proposals running, and I thing the best way to achieve that in this global world, to combat a global problems, is to break geographic barriers and built one to four full size integrated projects considering most of winners proposals, because we all complement each other. If we can do that, we can apply for bigger avaliable climate change funds. I think in the Wed-5th meeting we must work on this issue and find the way to implement it with the MIT-Climate CoLab staff support. I would like to know your comments about this idea. See you soon!!!

Jan Kunnas

Oct 5, 2014
04:24

2 |
Share via:
Dear Victor, I welcome your idea for a winners network. Good ideas without implementation are wasted ideas, and networking between all these proposals would be the most effective way to get them off the ground. Unfortunately, I probably cannot afford to come to the event, but would be happy to be a part of the network and updated on whatever you decide in the proposed Wed-5th meeting.

Dave Finnigan

Oct 5, 2014
05:05

3 |
Share via:
Victor - I like the fact that we are being stir-fried in a Net Wok instead of a network. (After you correct the title this line will be meaningless) But seriously, I agree that there are certainly ways we can selectively associate to make for stronger proposals and more certainty in funding. However it was the 18 separate organizations and networks that created the 18 separate contests and they are the original mentors who see us as winners of separate contests. I personally plan to push very hard for the Elders and Climates who sponsored our category to help us live up to their expectations for youth programs. I love the fact that Winners (that is us) "will receive support from the volunteer staff at the CliMates think-and-do-tank to develop their proposal as a research brief, and then possibly as a concrete outreach and advocacy project." That rocks! Our category creators are champions for specific sectors and they gave us specific guidelines for ways they hoped we would approach our problems and I personally plan to use their guidelines now rather than think I can come up with better or more interdependent guidelines. I am following the "Golden Rule". Those who have the gold can make the rules. I did read every proposal one day early in the contest and did note in the Related Proposals section of our proposal that we felt a special affinity for the following contests. So I already feel comfortable working with these contests to strengthen our own. Introducing the Solar-powered workforce - Could work with our families and schools The Green Spot Project - Could map our homes and schools The Little Engine that Could: Carbon Fee and Dividend - We could help CCL find new members and they could help us find presenters "Green Bond" - Investments for our families Fossil Fuel Divestment - We could help our families become activists Pollution Meter - Could be used by our families iCarbon - To show our families their carbon footprints I'm sure there are more and I do look forward to working with the other winners, but not if it means exceeding the boundaries imposed by our sponsoring organizations who have certain expectations for us which we would be foolish to ignore or rebel against. Although there is a panache to cooperation right now the word that comes to mind for me is focus. But I will participate in any discussions that move forward the overall project of reducing our collective carbon footprint and getting us into sustainability as time and energy permit.

Osero Shadrack Tengeya

Oct 6, 2014
01:33

Fellow

4 |
Share via:
Victor, thats a nice idea. I will be happy to network with any person who has expertise in developing my proposal. Have seen many good ideas failing to be realized due to lack of resources. I believe all the winning proposals can collectively mitigate climate change if well mentored. We meet in Boston soon. Thank you'all.

Timothy Damon

Oct 6, 2014
08:45

5 |
Share via:
Hi Victor, I will be happy to discuss potential collaboration between winning proposals. The diversity of the different categories/sponsors/proposals might make it very challenging to tie them together for the purposes of joint grant applications and the like, but there are still many other valuable ways a network of winners can provide mutual support. Looking forward to further exploration of this idea. Best, Tim

Aditi Sen

Oct 8, 2014
12:55

6 |
Share via:
Hi Victor, I couldn't agree more ...one of my main interests in coming for the event is to really network and collaborate with peers like you. I think one area where we might be able to join forces is around product development. I know many proposals use technology to address climate challenges but product development can expensive. Anyway, look forward to meeting all of you in person! Aditi

Thomas Manaugh

Oct 8, 2014
04:01

Catalyst

7 |
Share via:
Victor, You left an invitation to join this discussion on the comment page of entry ("Stop Groundwater Plan - Save $8 Billion" by Saïd Majdi and Thomas Manaugh at https://www.climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/1300208/planId/1309211). Saïd and I plan to attend the Wednesday session for winners, and we think exploring your ideas for ongoing collaborations could be fruitful. Our project is somewhat different from other projects in that we do not plan ourselves to create a new product or service. Other projects will, however, include developing public information and advocacy campaigns. Perhaps others will want to share strategies for building public support and getting cooperation from public officials.

Peter Joseph

Oct 17, 2014
05:34

8 |
Share via:
All of us Little Engineers (The Little Engine That Could: Carbon Fee and Dividend) appreciate the upcoming conference and the opportunities it presents to further collaborate. We represent a rapidly growing organization that's laser-focused on moving the needle in the US Congress. Everyone is welcome to join CCL -- it's free and easy, and participation level is up to you. If everyone and every group concerned about climate change were to put our proposal on their agenda -- even a little -- we would get much farther, much faster. As the massive People's Climate March demonstrated, the ground is fertile for a united focus, still missing from the debate. Harnessing the economy to come to our aid should be on everyone's to-do list. See you in Cambridge -- our fair city -- soon. Peter G Joseph, M.D.

Victor Blanco

Oct 27, 2014
04:59

9 |
Share via:
Dear all!! Thanks for your responses! I´m very sad that at the end I wont be able to attend in person but virtually. However, I hope the winners meeting session works out great for all. If you could stay on-line by twitter or any other media it would be wonderful to participate and/or watch the reunion. My twitter accounts are @vicblan and @REACC2, skype address: victor.blanco.marquez, and my email vicblan@gmail.com if hangout is avaliable. Congratulations and let´s make this happen...

Chris Taylor

Nov 3, 2014
07:43

10 |
Share via:
My biggest worry is all the previous years winning proposals at Climate Colab are dead in the water or made no further progress. It might be that participants are only part of an MIT collective intelligence experiment. Anything more meaningful might upset the sponsors, ninety percent who are the fossil fuel industry. Have a look! http://globalchange.mit.edu/sponsors/all “CoLab works with community partners and labor to explore the intersection of democratic engagement, shared wealth generation and cities’ efforts to become more socially, environmentally and economically sustainable.”

Jan Kunnas

Nov 5, 2014
05:00

11 |
Share via:
Dear Chris, For sure winning the Climate CoLab contest does not guarantee anything else that publicity to the proposals. That's exactly why we need a winners network, making the contest a starting point instead of an end point.