Welcome to the MIT Climate CoLab
In the MIT Climate CoLab, you can work with people from all over the world to develop ideas for what we should do about climate change. Become a Member (its free!) and you can submit a proposal in one of over a dozen contests on topics like Transportation and Shifting behavior for a changing climate. The creators of the winning proposals will be invited to present their ideas before investors and business, industry, and government leaders at a conference at MIT this fall, and the creators of the top-ranked proposal will also share a Grand Prize of $10,000. But that's not all! Just by spreading word of the contest you can win a share of the $2,000 Social Network Prize. If you share the contest with someone who wins the $10,000 Grand Prize then you'll win $1,000, and you'll win money even if the winner is over 6 degrees of separation from you! See how it works
1. Simply enter your e-mail address in the field below, and we'll give you a unique link (do NOT simply copy and paste the URL of this webpage or we won't know how to pay you)
2. Share that link with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, email, or other social media.
3. You win $1,000 if one of your friends wins the $10,000 Grand Prize, $500 if a friend of a friend wins, $250 if a friend of a friend of a friend wins, $125 if a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend wins, and so on, so share widely!
It might play out like this: Alice enters her e-mail address below and we give her a unique invite link. Alice then e-mails her link to Bob, who also enters his e-mail address below so that we can give him a unique invite link, which he then posts to Facebook. Bob's friend Carol sees the link, signs up to get her unique link, which she then posts to Twitter. Carol's follower Dave then sees the link, signs up for the CoLab and creates (or helps to create) the best-ranked proposal, winning him the Grand Prize of $10,000. Once that happens we send Carol $1,000 for inviting Dave, Bob gets $500 for inviting Carol, and Alice gets $250 for inviting Bob.
CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN CLIMATE COLAB SOCIAL NETWORK PRIZE STUDY
We are asking you to participate in a research study conducted by Thomas Malone from the Center for Collective Intelligence at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.). The purpose of the study is to better understand how community referrals work in online social networks. We are also interested in analyzing the impact of community referrals in relation to subsequent activity on the Climate CoLab site, and more generally how to design and grow online communities. You should read the information below before deciding whether or not to participate in this study.
- Participation in this study is voluntary.
- If you are under 18 years old, you will need your parent or legal guardian to agree to these terms on your behalf.
- Any information that is obtained in connection with this study and that can be identified with you will remain confidential and will be disclosed only with your permission or as required by law.
- You will not be compensated for participation in this study, unless you are a winner of the Social Network Prize.
- If you feel you have been treated unfairly, or you have questions regarding your rights as a research subject, you may contact the Chairman of the Committee on the Use of Humans and Experimental Subjects, M.I.T., Room E52-143b, 77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA, 02139, phone 1-617-253-6787.
Social Network Prize Rules and Prizes
- You are not eligible to receive part of the Social Network Prize unless you agree to participate in the study.
- You are not eligible to receive part of the Social Network Prize in any location where it is prohibited by law. It is your responsibility to check with your local laws to make sure that this activity does not violate any applicable law or ordinance, and to make sure that you are eligible to participate.
- Before receiving your portion of the referral prize, you may need to provide appropriate tax identification numbers (such as, in the US, your social security number).
- $1,000 will be awarded to anyone who refers the winner of the Grand Prize to the Climate CoLab using a unique link that we have generated for that person. Similarly, $500 will be awarded to anyone who directly refers the referrer, $250 will be awarded to anyone who refers the referrer of the referrer, and so on. The smallest prize awarded will be to the referrer that is 10 degrees of separation from the Grand Prize winner, who will be awarded $1.95.
- If there are multiple authors of the Grand Prize winning proposal, the Social Network Prize will go to the referrers (direct and indirect) of the first person to join the proposal team who was referred by someone participating in the Social Network Prize study. If no one on the winning proposal team was referred by anyone participating in the Social Network Prize study, then no Social Network Prizes will be awarded.
- If any of the $2,000 Social Network Prize is unclaimed, or if there is no winner, the remaining money will go to support further efforts of the Climate CoLab.
- These rules for the Social Network Prize are subject to change by the Climate CoLab team, if in the judgment of the Climate CoLab team such changes are warranted.